Model Scale 1 Pay Scale Point 0 ($13,040) per month to Model Scale 1 Pay Scale Point 8 ($15,365) per month. [See General Note (1)]
Candidates should :
(a) have completed Primary 6 education, or equivalent;
(b) be able to communicate in Chinese and simple English; and
(c) have knowledge of operating common office equipment.
(a) The post is open to male and female applicants.
(b) Candidates will be required to pass a trade test.
(c) Preference will be given to the candidates who have experience in discharging relevant duties in schools or offices.
(d) For the purpose of heightening public awareness of the Basic Law (BL) and promoting a culture of learning of BL in the community, applicants for civil service jobs will be assessed on their BL knowledge. The BL test result will be taken into account only if two candidates are considered equal in all other aspects.
A Workman II is mainly deployed in schools/offices of Education Bureau on:
(a) moving furniture, loading and unloading stores and office equipment, and any other general labour duties ;
(b) carrying out receipt and despatch, by-hand delivery and postal-service related duties;
(c) duplicating, photocopying and sorting of documents and operating other office automation equipment;
(d) providing cleansing, pantry and tea services;
(e) assisting in security duties (such as locking and unlocking doors, checking visitor's identity, etc), manning reception counter, and answering telephone calls and simple enquiries; and
(f) performing any other duties as assigned by senior officers.
[Remarks : Workman II appointees (i) should work 45 hours net per week (excluding meal break); may be required to wear uniform, perform outdoor duties, work shift and/or irregular hours, actual working hours will be arranged by supervisors; and (ii) should accept posting in different locations and of different nature (including schools and offices); be subject to posting and transfer between schools and/or offices.]
Terms of Appointment:
A new recruit will be appointed on civil service probationary terms for three years. Upon passage of probation bar, he/she may be considered for appointment on the prevailing permanent terms. [See General Notes (1) to (7)].
(1) The information on the maximum pay point is for reference only and it may be subject to changes.
(2) If a new recruit progresses onto new permanent terms upon satisfactory completion of the probationary/agreement period, he/she will be eligible to join the Civil Service Provident Fund (CSPF) Scheme. The Government's contributions under the CSPF Scheme, including mandatory and voluntary contributions, follow a progressive contribution rates schedule ranging from 5% to 25% of the basic salary of an eligible officer at his/her substantive rank, depending on his/her completed years of continuous service on civil service terms. In general, the above-mentioned Government's contribution rate is 15% at the time when an eligible officer who has completed three years of continuous service progresses onto new permanent terms and joins the CSPF Scheme. Further information on the CSPF Scheme may be accessed on CSB's website (www.csb.gov.hk).
(3) Candidates must be permanent residents of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region at the time of appointment unless specified otherwise.
(4) As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the Government is committed to eliminating discrimination in employment. The vacancy advertised is open to all candidates meeting the basic entry requirement irrespective of their disability, sex, marital status, pregnancy, age, family status, sexual orientation and race.
(5) Civil service vacancies are posts on the civil service establishment. Candidates selected for these vacancies will be appointed on civil service terms of appointment and conditions of service and will become civil servants on appointment.
(6) The entry pay, terms of appointment and conditions of service to be offered are subject to the provisions prevailing at the time the offer of appointment is made.
(7) Fringe benefits include paid leave, medical and dental benefits, and where appropriate, assistance in housing.
(8) Where a large number of candidates meet the specified entry requirements, the Education Bureau may devise shortlisting criteria to select the better qualified candidates for further processing. In these circumstances, only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend recruitment interview and/or trade test.
(9) It is Government policy to place people with a disability in appropriate jobs wherever possible. If a disabled candidate meets the entry requirements, he/she will be invited to attend the recruitment interview and/or trade test without being subject to further shortlisting. Candidates who have declared disabilities found suitable for appointment may be given an appropriate degree of preference over other candidates whose suitability for appointment is considered comparable to that of the former. The Government policy and other related measures on employment of persons with disabilities are set out in the booklet "Employ People Based on Their Abilities – Application for Government Jobs by Persons with Disabilities" which is available for reference on the Civil Service Bureau's website at http://www.csb.gov.hk under "Administration of the Civil Service – Appointments".
(10) Holders of academic qualifications other than those obtained from Hong Kong institutions/Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority may also apply but their qualifications will be subject to assessments on equivalence with the required entry qualifications. They should submit copies of their official transcripts and certificates by mail to the below enquiry address.
(11) Personal data provided by candidates will be used strictly in accordance with the Education Bureau's personal data policies, a copy of which will be provided upon request.
(12) Towards the application deadline, our on-line system would likely be overloaded due to large volume of applications. To ensure timely completion of your on-line application, it is advisable to submit the application as early as possible.
How to apply:
I. Application by post or in person
Application Forms [G.F.340 (Rev. 3/2013)] are obtainable from any Home Affairs Enquiry Centre of District Offices, Home Affairs Department or any Job Centre of the Employment Services Division, Labour Department. The said form can also be downloaded from the Civil Service Bureau's website (http://www.csb.gov.hk).
Completed application forms, together with copies of all supporting documents, should reach the Appointments and Personnel Section, Education Bureau, Room 1636, 16/F, Wu Chung House, 213 Queen's Road East, Wanchai, Hong Kong on or before 17 October 2019. Please do not send in any original of supporting documents. For application by post, the date of the postmark should not be after 17 October 2019. To avoid delayed or unsuccessful delivery of applications by post, please ensure that the correct address is clearly printed or written on the envelope and sufficient postage has been affixed before posting. Mail items bearing insufficient postage will not be delivered to this Bureau and will be returned to the sender or disposed of by the Hongkong Post, where appropriate. Candidates will bear any consequences arising from paying insufficient postage. Candidates should state clearly "Application for the post of Workman II" on the application form and the envelope.
II. On-line Application
On-line application can also be made through the Civil Service Bureau's website (http://www.csb.gov.hk). Candidates who apply on-line should submit copies of all supporting documents by hand or by post on or before 24 October 2019 to the Appointments and Personnel Section, Education Bureau, Room 1636, 16/F, Wu Chung House, 213 Queen's Road East, Wanchai, Hong Kong. On-line application number should be quoted on the envelope and the copies of all supporting documents. Please do not send in any original of supporting documents.
Candidates should state clearly in their applications details of their academic qualifications, skills and experience and attach copies of the relevant documents. Applications which are incomplete, are not made in the prescribed form [G.F. 340 (Rev. 3/2013)], or submitted by fax or e-mail, or applications which are late, or not duly signed by the candidates, or without sufficient supporting documents, will NOT be considered.
Candidates who are invited for the recruitment interview and/ or trade test will normally receive a notice within four months from the closing date for applications. This period may be longer in the event that there are a large number of applications or other exceptional circumstances. Those who are not invited for the recruitment interview and/or trade test may assume that their applications are unsuccessful.
Appointments and Personnel Section, Education Bureau, Room 1636, 16/F, Wu Chung House, 213 Queen's Road East, Wanchai, Hong Kong
2892 6175 / 2892 5705
Newspaper(s) Advertised and Date(s):
Mingpao (4 October and 11 October 2019) and SCMP (4 October and 12 October 2019)