Applicants should (1) be permanent residents of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region; (2) be full-time law students of second year or above in post-secondary institutions, or full-time students of post-graduate law degree programmes; (3) have a good command of Chinese and English; and (4) have basic knowledge in computer applications and research skills on the Internet.
Assisting Legal Aid Counsel in dealing with matters relating to civil / criminal legal aid cases, attending conference with counsel / experts, interviewing and taking instructions / statements from applicants / aided persons / witnesses, handling litigation generally, updating template and manual, preparing chronologies for files and conducting legal research.
Terms of Appointment:
Winter interns are engaged under non-civil service appointment. They are normally required to work 44 hours per week. They are eligible for rest days, statutory holidays, general holidays and sickness days.
(1) Candidates must be permanent residents of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region at the time of appointment unless specified otherwise.
(2) As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the Government is committed to eliminating discrimination in employment. The vacancy advertised is open to all applicants meeting the basic entry requirement irrespective of their disability, sex, marital status, pregnancy, age, family status, sexual orientation and race.
(3) If the internship period is less than one month, the monthly allowance will be deducted on a pro-rata basis.
(4) The allowance, terms of appointment and conditions of service to be offered are subject to the provisions prevailing at the time the offer of appointment is made.
(5) Students studying in local post-secondary institutions should observe the deadline set by the Student Affairs Offices/Career Centres of their respective institutions for applications.
(6) Interview is not required. Those who have not been informed by 6 December 2019 may assume that their applications are unsuccessful.
How to apply:
Completed application form with copies of certificates of HKAL/HKCEE /HKDSEE or equivalent and academic transcripts of current study should be submitted. A short statement (about 400 words) explaining the reasons for applying Winter Intern (Legal) of the Legal Aid Department is required.
(a) Hong Kong students studying in local post-secondary institutions must apply through the Student Affairs Offices/Career Centres of their respective institutions.
(b) Students studying in non-local post-secondary institutions should download the application form from Legal Aid Department's website (https://www.lad.gov.hk) and send their applications to the Personnel Registry, Legal Aid Department, Room 2715, 27th Floor, High Block, Queensway Government Offices, 66 Queensway, Hong Kong by 18 October 2019 (according to postmark). Please ensure that sufficient postage is paid. Any underpaid mail items will be returned or disposed of by the Hongkong Post.
Personnel Section, Legal Aid Department, Room 2715, 27th Floor, High Block, Queensway Government Offices, 66 Queensway, Hong Kong.