Master Pay Scale Point 27 ($45,150) to Master Pay Scale Point 44 ($91,590) per month
Candidates should have (a) a Hong Kong first or second class honours degree in Physics, Mathematics, Meteorology, Nuclear Science or an appropriate science subject, or equivalent; and (b)(i) at least two years’ post-graduate working experience in meteorology; or (ii) a Hong Kong Master degree in Physics, Mathematics, Meteorology, Nuclear Science, Computer Science, Information Technology, Electronic Engineering or an appropriate science subject, or equivalent; and (c) attained ‘Level 1’ results in the two language papers (Use of Chinese and Use of English ) in the Common Recruitment Examination (CRE).
(1) Candidates' results in the Aptitude Test (AT) paper are classified as pass or fail, the results of Use of Chinese (UC) and Use of English (UE) papers are classified as ‘Level 2’, ‘Level 1’ or ‘Fail’, with ‘Level 2’ being the highest.
(2) Grade ‘C’ or above and Grade ‘D’ in Use of English of the Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (HKALE), or equivalent, are accepted as equivalent to ‘Level 2’ and ‘Level 1’ results respectively in the UE paper of the CRE. Grade ‘C’ or above and Grade ‘D’ in Chinese Language and Culture or Chinese Language and Literature of the HKALE are accepted as equivalent to ‘Level 2’ and ‘Level 1’ results respectively in the UC paper of the CRE.
(3) Applicants with an overall band of 6.5 or above with no subtest score below band 6 obtained in the same sitting in the Academic Module of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) within the two-year validity period of the test are considered as having met the English language proficiency requirement (item (c) of the entry requirements) of the Scientific Officer post. The IELTS test result must be valid on the starting day of the application period, i.e. 30 January 2015.
(4) For the purpose of heightening public awareness of the Basic Law (BL) and promoting a culture of learning of BL in the community, assessment of BL knowledge will be included in the recruitment for all civil service jobs. Results of the BL test for degree / professional grades will be one of the considerations to assess the suitability of a candidate but will not affect his/her eligibility for applying for civil service jobs. As a general principle, the main consideration for suitability for appointment remains a candidate’s qualification, experience and calibre.
(5) Candidates should state clearly in their applications, their academic qualifications and their results in the Use of Chinese paper and Use of English paper in the CRE. Applications which did not provide all information as requested or which are not clear that the candidates have met the entry requirements will not be considered.
A Scientific Officer is mainly deployed on (a) performing weather forecasting duties; or (b) supervising and training staff and carrying out research in connection with the provision of services in areas including weather, climate, seismology, radioactivity, hydrometeorology, physical oceanography, aviation meteorology, marine meteorology and applied meteorology. A scientific officer may be required to attend training courses locally. He/She may also be sent on an overseas course in meteorology and/or other relevant subjects. He/She may be required to work outdoors, shifts, outside normal office hours, or in adverse weather condition.
Terms of Appointment:
A new appointee will normally be appointed on civil service probationary terms for three years. Upon passage of probationary bar, he/she may be considered for appointment on the prevailing permanent terms.
(a) Candidates must be permanent residents of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region at the time of appointment unless specified otherwise. (b) As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the Government is committed to eliminating discrimination in employment. The vacancy advertised is open to all applicants meeting the basic entry requirement irrespective of their disability, sex, marital status, pregnancy, age, family status, sexual orientation and race. (c) Civil service vacancies are posts on the civil service establishment. Candidates selected for these vacancies will be appointed on civil service terms of appointment and conditions of service and will become civil servants on appointment. (d) The entry pay, terms of appointment and conditions of service to be offered are subject to the provisions prevailing at the time the offer of appointment is made. (e) The information on the maximum pay point is for reference only and may be subject to changes. (f) Fringe benefits include paid leave, medical and dental benefits, and where appropriate, assistance in housing. (g) Where a large number of candidates meet the specified entry requirements, the recruiting department may devise shortlisting criteria to select the better qualified candidates for further processing. In these circumstances, only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend the written examination / interview. (h) It is Government policy to place people with a disability in appropriate jobs wherever possible. If a disabled candidate meets the entry requirements, he/she will be invited to attend the written examination / interview without being subject to further shortlisting. (i) Holders of academic qualifications other than those obtained from Hong Kong institutions/Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority may also apply but their qualifications will be subject to assessments on equivalence with the required entry qualifications. They should submit copies of their official transcripts and certificates by mail to the below enquiry address. Candidates who apply online should mark “For application of Scientific Officer” on the envelope and quote the online application number on the copies of every page of supporting documents. (j) Towards the application deadline, our on-line system would likely be overloaded due to large volume of applications. To ensure timely completion of your on-line application, it is advisable to submit the application as early as possible.
How to apply:
Application forms [G.F.340 (Rev. 3/2013)] are obtainable from any Public Enquiry Service Centres of District Office, Home Affairs Department or any Job Centres of the Employment Services Division, Labour Department. The said form can also be downloaded from the Civil Service Bureau’s website (http://www.csb.gov.hk). Completed forms should reach the following enquiry address on or before the closing date for application. Please state the post to be applied on the envelope. On-line application can also be made through the Civil Service Bureau’s website (http://www.csb.gov.hk). As shortlisting criteria may be applied for selecting better qualified candidates to selection interviews, candidates should state clearly in their applications full record of employment and academic qualifications (including the major(s) of their degree(s) and the class of honours awarded). Candidates who are selected for written examination/interview will normally receive an invitation in about eight to ten weeks from the closing date for application. Those who are not invited for written examination/interview may assume that their applications are unsuccessful.
Personnel Registry, Hong Kong Observatory, 134A Nathan Road, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon
Newspaper(s) Advertised and Date(s):
South China Morning Post (31.1.2015 & 7.2.2015) Ming Pao Daily (30.1.2015)