Master Pay Scale Point 32 (HK$54,265) per month to Master Pay Scale Point 44 (HK$86,440) per month
For Geotechnical Stream:
Candidates should (a) possess Corporate Membership of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (Civil or Geotechnical Discipline) elected after 5 December 1975, or equivalent [see Note (1)]; and have 2 years’ experience in geotechnical engineering; (b) have a pass result in the Aptitude Test in the Common Recruitment Examination (CRE) [See Note (2)]; and (c) have met the language proficiency requirements of Level 1 results in the two language papers (Use of Chinese and Use of English) in the CRE, or equivalent [See Note (2)].
For Geologist Stream:
Candidates should (a) possess a recognized professional qualification in engineering geology or geology, or equivalent, such as Chartered Geologist status of the Geological Society of London, UK; and have 2 years’ experience in engineering geology or geology; (b) have a pass result in the Aptitude Test in the CRE [See Note (2)]; and (c) have met the language proficiency requirements of Level 1 results in the two language papers (Use of Chinese and Use of English) in the CRE, or equivalent [See Note (2)].
(1) In order to meet the entry requirement (a), applicants holding non-local professional qualifications only should prove the equivalency of such qualifications by the closing date for application, with supporting documents such as evidence of acceptance of their qualifications by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers for admission to its Corporate Membership (Civil or Geotechnical Discipline).
(2) The results in the Aptitude Test (AT) paper in the CRE are classified as Pass or Fail.
The results of the Use of Chinese (UC) and Use of English (UE) papers in the CRE are classified as Level 2, Level 1 or Fail, with Level 2 being the highest.
Grade C or above and Grade D in Use of English of the Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (HKALE) or equivalent, are accepted as equivalent to Level 2 and Level 1 results respectively in the UE paper of the CRE. Grade C or above and Grade D in Chinese Language and Culture or Chinese Language and Literature of the HKALE are accepted as equivalent to Level 2 and Level 1 results respectively in the UC paper of the CRE.
Applicants with an overall band of 6.5 or above with no subtest score below band 6 obtained in the same sitting in the Academic Module of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) within the two-year validity period of the test result are considered as having met the English language proficiency requirement of the Geotechnical Engineer post. The IELTS test result must be valid on the starting day of the application period, i.e. 2 January 2015.
(3) For the purpose of heightening public awareness of the Basic Law (BL) and promoting a culture of learning of BL in the community, assessment of BL knowledge will be included in the recruitment for all civil service jobs. Results of the BL test for degree/professional grades will be one of the considerations to assess the suitability of a candidate but will not affect his/her eligibility for applying for civil service jobs. As a general principle, the main consideration for suitability for appointment remains a candidate’s qualification, experience and caliber.
(4) The successful candidates will be under the grade management of the Director of Civil Engineering and Development. They may be posted to different Departments, subject to the latest posting policies of the Director of Civil Engineering and Development.
(5) Candidates should attach copies of their CRE/HKALE/IELTS results and proof of Corporate Membership of the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (Civil or Geotechnical Discipline), or equivalent, together with a detailed account of their academic work and relevant working experience in a prescribed format to their applications. The prescribed format can be downloaded from CEDD’s home page http://www.cedd.gov.hk/eng/about/career/index.htm. Applications without provisions of copies of the required documents will not be considered.
A Geotechnical Engineer undertakes geotechnical studies, design and construction supervision and geotechnical control; improves geotechnical standards and technology; manages consultancies and contracts; provides geological, advisory, ground investigation and material testing, slope maintenance and emergency services; and controls quarrying activities and the use of explosives. Successful candidates may be posted to work in other Departments [See Note (4)].
Terms of Appointment:
A new recruit will be appointed on civil service probationary terms for three years. Upon passage of probation bar, he/she may be considered for appointment on the prevailing permanent terms.
(a) Candidates must be permanent residents of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region at the time of appointment unless specified otherwise.
(b) As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the Government is committed to eliminating discrimination in employment. The vacancy advertised is open to all applicants meeting the basic requirement irrespective of their disability, sex, marital status, pregnancy, age, family status, sexual orientation and race.
(c) Civil Service vacancies are posts on the civil service establishment. Candidates selected for these vacancies will be appointed on civil service terms of appointment and conditions of service and will become civil servants on appointment.
(d) The entry pay, terms of appointment and conditions of service to be offered are subject to the provisions prevailing at the time the offer of appointment is made.
(e) The information on maximum pay point is for reference only and it may be subject to changes.
(f) Fringe benefits include paid leave, medical and dental benefits, and where appropriate, assistance in housing.
(g) Where a large number of candidates meet the specified entry requirements, the recruiting department may devise shortlisting criteria to select the better qualified candidates for further processing. In these circumstances, only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend recruitment examination and/or interview.
(h) It is Government policy to place people with a disability in appropriate jobs wherever possible. If a disabled candidate meets the entry requirements, he/she will be invited to attend the selection interview/written examination without being subject to further shortlisting.
(i) Holders of academic qualifications other than those obtained from Hong Kong institutions/Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority may also apply but their qualifications will be subject to assessments on equivalence with the required entry qualifications. They should submit copies of their official transcripts and certificates by mail to the enquiry address.
(j) Towards the application deadline, our online system would likely be overloaded due to large volume of applications. To ensure timely completion of your online application, it is advisable to submit the application as early as possible.
How to apply:
Application Forms [G.F. 340 (Rev.3/2013)] are obtainable from any Public Enquiry Service Centres of District Offices, Home Affairs Department or any Job Centres of Employment Services Division, Labour Department. The said form can also be downloaded from the Civil Service Bureau’s website (http://www.csb.gov.hk). Completed forms together with the required documents mentioned in Note (5) should reach the enquiry address on or before the closing date for application, with the envelope clearly marked with “Application for Geotechnical Engineer”. Online application can also be made through the Civil Service Bureau’s website (http://www.csb.gov.hk). Candidates who apply online should submit the required documents mentioned in Note (5) by 26 January 2015 by post, fax or email (Fax number: 2714 0140; email address: email@example.com) to the Appointments Section, Civil Engineering and Development Department, and the on-line application number should be quoted on every page of the required documents. Applications not made in the prescribed form or which are incomplete, late or without provision of copies of the required documents will not be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide their email addresses on the application forms. Candidates who are selected for interview will normally receive an invitation (by email or by post) in about six to eight weeks from the closing date for application. Those who are not invited for interview may assume that their applications are unsuccessful.
Appointments Section, Civil Engineering and Development Department, 14/F., Civil Engineering and Development Building, 101 Princess Margaret Road, Homantin, Kowloon. (Fax : 2714 0140)
Newspaper(s) Advertised and Date(s):
Ming Pao Daily News (2 January 2015); South China Morning Post (3 January 2015) and Hong Kong Engineer (January 2015)