(2) 政府在聘任公務員時，香港中學文憑考試中國語文科第5級或以上成績;或香港高級程度會考中國語文及文化、中國語言文學或中國語文科C級或以上的成績，會獲接納為等同綜合招聘考試中文運用試卷的二級成績。香港中學文憑考試中國語文科第4級成績;或香港高級程度會考中國語文及文化、中國語言文學或中國語文科D級的成績，會獲接納為等同綜合招聘考試中文運用試卷的一級成績。此外， 香港中學文憑考試英國語文科第5級或以上成績;或香港高級程度會考英語運用科C級或以上成績;或General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level) (GCE A Level) English Language科C級或以上成績，會獲接納為等同綜合招聘考試英文運用試卷的二級成績。香港中學文憑考試英國語文科第4級成績;或香港高級程度會考英語運用科D級成績;或GCE A Level English Language科D級成績，會獲接納為等同綜合招聘考試英文運用試卷的一級成績。
(3) 在International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 學術模式整體分級取得6.5或以上，並在同一次考試中各項個別分級取得不低於6的成績的人士，在IELTS考試成績的兩年有效期內，會獲接納為等同綜合招聘考試英文運用試卷的二級成績。IELTS考試成績必須在2020年10月16日(即職位接受申請的首天)至2021年8月31日期間任何一日仍然有效。
(5) 有機會晉升至高級政府律師。高級政府律師現時的起薪為每月港幣117,580 元。
Master Pay Scale Point 32 ($70,465) per month to Master Pay Scale Point 44 ($110,170) per month. Subject to the prevailing situation, candidates may be considered for the granting of increments with additional relevant post-qualification experience above the stipulated minimum requirement.
A career as Government Counsel in the Department of Justice offers a unique opportunity to apply and develop your professional ability. Diverse and challenging roles are available that are not found in the private sector. Government Counsel work with various bureaux and departments as well as law enforcement agencies and participate in legal decisions and processes concerning matters of public importance. We invite applications from both newly qualified lawyers (including those who expect to finish their training in summer 2021) and those with experience. We offer considerable job satisfaction, competitive salaries and fringe benefits, with prospects for promotion to higher positions.
(a) must be - (i) solicitors admitted in a recognised jurisdiction as stipulated under Section 2A and Schedule 2 of the Legal Officers Ordinance (Note : Candidates who will complete their training as a trainee solicitor on or before 30 September 2021 may also apply. Their appointment, however, will be subject to their admission as solicitors); or (ii) barristers with one year's professional experience since attaining the right to full practice in a recognised jurisdiction as stipulated under Section 2A and Schedule 2 of the Legal Officers Ordinance (Note : Barristers with right to full practice but who do not possess one year's professional experience since attaining the right to full practice may also apply. If selected, they will enter at an appropriate point below the minimum of the Government Counsel pay scale. Candidates who will complete their pupillage on or before 30 September 2021 may also apply. Their appointment, however, will be subject to their admission as a barrister with satisfactory completion of pupillage); and
(b) must have a Level 2 result [see Note (1)] in the Use of English [see Notes (2) and (3)] paper and a Level 1 result in the Use of Chinese [see Note (2)] paper in the Common Recruitment Examination (CRE). Candidates without the requisite CRE results but who have met the other entry requirements may also apply. Appointment will be subject to their obtaining Level 2 in the Use of English paper and Level 1 in the Use of Chinese paper of the CRE on or before 31 August 2021. Candidates who do not have Level 1 in the Use of Chinese paper of the CRE by the time of appointment may also be appointed. However, only a limited number of applicants who do not possess the requisite Chinese language proficiency may be appointed subject to the operational needs of the Department. Please visit Civil Service Bureau's website at http://www.csb.gov.hk for details of the CRE.
(1) The results of the Use of Chinese (UC) and Use of English (UE) papers in the Common Recruitment Examination (CRE) are classified as Level 2, Level 1 or Fail, with Level 2 being the highest.
(2) For civil service appointment purpose, Level 5 or above in Chinese Language of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSEE); or Grade C or above in Chinese Language and Culture or Chinese Language and Literature of the Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination (HKALE), are accepted as equivalent to Level 2 in the UC paper of the CRE. Level 4 in Chinese Language of the HKDSEE; or Grade D in Chinese Language and Culture or Chinese Language and Literature of the HKALE, are accepted as equivalent to Level 1 in the UC paper of the CRE. Besides, Level 5 or above in English Language of the HKDSEE; or Grade C or above in Use of English of the HKALE; or Grade C or above in English Language of the General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level) (GCE A Level), are accepted as equivalent to Level 2 in the UE paper of the CRE. Level 4 in English Language of the HKDSEE; or Grade D in Use of English of the HKALE; or Grade D in English Language of the GCE A Level, are accepted as equivalent to Level 1 in the UE paper of the CRE.
(3) Candidates with an overall band of 6.5 or above with no subtest score below band 6 obtained in the same sitting in the Academic Module of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) within the two-year validity period of the test result are accepted as equivalent to Level 2 in the UE paper of the CRE. The IELTS test result must be valid on any date during the period from 16 October 2020 (i.e. the starting day of the application period) to 31 August 2021.
(4) For the purpose of heightening public awareness of the Basic Law (BL) and promoting a culture of learning of the BL in the community, applicants for civil service jobs will be assessed on their BL knowledge. The BL test result will constitute an appropriate weighting in a candidate's overall assessment.
(5) Promotion opportunities to the rank of Senior Government Counsel may arise. The current starting salary of Senior Government Counsel is HK$117,580 per month.
To be deployed in the Department of Justice undertaking criminal advocacy, civil litigation, legal advisory work (criminal, civil and public international law), bilingual legislative drafting, commercial law, mutual legal assistance and legal policy work. A career as a Government Counsel may include postings in any of the divisions of the Department – Civil Division, International Law Division, Law Drafting Division, Legal Policy Division and Prosecutions Division - for operational or career development purposes. More information about the Department's work can be found at the website (http://www.doj.gov.hk).
Terms of Appointment:
A new recruit will normally be appointed on civil service probationary terms for three years. Upon passage of probation bar, he/she may be considered for appointment on the prevailing permanent terms.
(1) Candidates must be permanent residents of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region at the time of appointment.
(2) As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the Government is committed to eliminating discrimination in employment. The vacancy advertised is open to all applicants meeting the basic entry requirement irrespective of their disability, sex, marital status, pregnancy, age, family status, sexual orientation and race.
(3) Civil service vacancies are posts on the civil service establishment. Candidates selected for these vacancies will be appointed on civil service terms of appointment and conditions of service and will become civil servants on appointment.
(4) The entry pay, terms of appointment and conditions of service to be offered are subject to the provisions prevailing at the time the offer of appointment is made.
(5) The information on the maximum pay point is for reference only and may be subject to changes.
(6) Fringe benefits include paid leave, medical and dental benefits, and where appropriate, assistance in housing.
(7) Where a large number of candidates meet the specified entry requirements, the recruiting department may devise shortlisting criteria to select the better qualified candidates for further processing. In these circumstances, only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend recruitment examination and/or interview.
(8) It is Government policy to place people with a disability in appropriate jobs wherever possible. If a disabled candidate meets the entry requirements, he/she will be invited to attend the selection interview/written examination without being subject to further shortlisting. Applicants who have declared disabilities found suitable for appointment may be given an appropriate degree of preference over other applicants whose suitability for appointment is considered comparable to that of the former. The Government policy and other related measures on employment of persons with disabilities are set out in the booklet "Employ People Based on Their Abilities - Application for Government Jobs by Persons with Disabilities" which is available for reference on the Civil Service Bureau's website at http://www.csb.gov.hk under “Administration of the Civil Service – Appointments".
(9) Applications from serving civil servants at Government Counsel rank would not normally be considered.
(10) Towards the application deadline, our on-line system would likely be overloaded due to large volume of applications. To ensure timely completion of your on-line application, it is advisable to submit the application as early as possible.
How to apply:
1. Candidates should apply in writing with a completed application form [G.F. 340 (Rev. 3/2013)] and a full C.V. to the enquiry address by 6 November 2020 at 6:00 p.m. Hong Kong Time. The C.V. should at least include the following information -
(a) gradings of the subjects taken in public examinations from secondary education onwards (with exact dates of scoring the results); (b) results in LLB, CPE, PCLL, Law Society Final and Bar Final examinations and corresponding examinations in another recognised jurisdiction listing the gradings of the subjects taken (with copies of transcripts and certificates); (c) exact date and place of admission/call (for trainee solicitors and pupils, please give the date of completion of training or pupillage); (d) employment records with detailed description of duties; and (e) work preferences, in order of priority.
The application form [G.F. 340 (Rev. 3/2013)] is obtainable from any Home Affairs Enquiry Centre of District Offices, Home Affairs Department or any Job Centre of the Employment Services Division, Labour Department. The form can also be downloaded from Civil Service Bureau's website (http://www.csb.gov.hk).
2. On-line application can also be made through the Civil Service Bureau's website (http://www.csb.gov.hk). Candidates who apply on-line should submit their C.V. by post with sufficient postage to the enquiry address below or by fax (fax no. 3902 8779) within one week after close of application period.
3. If candidates fail to provide the C.V. and/or submit the completed application form [G.F. 340 (Rev. 3/2013)] as requested, their applications will not be considered.
4. To avoid delayed or unsuccessful delivery of applications / C.V. by post, please ensure that the correct address is clearly printed or written on the envelope and sufficient postage has been affixed before posting. Mail items bearing insufficient postage will not be delivered to this Department and will be returned to the sender or disposed of by the Hongkong Post, where appropriate. Applicants will bear any consequences arising from paying insufficient postage.
5. If no acknowledgement / confirmation e-mail is received after five working days from the closing date for application, please immediately contact this Department by phone at 3902 8754 / 3902 8755.
6. Candidates who are selected for interview will normally receive an invitation within about six to eight weeks after the closing date for application. Those who are not invited for interview may assume that their applications are unsuccessful.
*Interested candidates may visit https://www.doj.gov.hk/eng/recruitment/counsel.html under the section “Government Counsel Recruitment Exercise” for relevant information of the Government Counsel post and a set of “Frequently Asked Questions” on the recruitment exercise.
* ALL APPLICATIONS WILL BE HANDLED IN STRICT CONFIDENCE.
Appointments Unit, Department of Justice, 8th Floor, West Wing, Justice Place, 18 Lower Albert Road, Central, Hong Kong
3902 8754 / 3902 8755
Newspaper(s) Advertised and Date(s):
Ming Pao (16 October 2020) & South China Morning Post (17 October 2020 & 24 October 2020)