(1) be aged between 16 and 24;
(2) have completed Form 3, or equivalent, which includes Chinese language and English language subjects;
(3) pass an eyesight test and the Ishihara’s Test for colour-blindness (An applicant’s visual acuity should be at least 6/60, i.e. myopia not exceeding roughly 300 degrees); and
(4) pass a swimming test by swimming 100 metres forwards in any style without wearing swimming goggles. Applicants who can swim 100 metres in 2 minutes or less may be employed as Swimming Pool Trainees. For applicants who swim 100 metres in more than 2 minutes but not exceeding 2 minutes 30 seconds, they may be employed as Beach Trainees.
(1) Applicants will not be considered if they:
(a) possess or formerly possessed valid Pool Lifeguard Award or Beach Lifeguard Award or above issued by the Hong Kong Life Saving Society; or
(b) have once been Swimming Pool Trainees or Beach Trainees in LCSD, irrespective of whether they have completed their training or acquired any lifesaving qualifications.
(2) The aim of the Beach/Swimming Pool Trainee Scheme is to improve employment rate of and to enhance employment opportunities of the unemployed youths. The age requirement (i.e. applicants should be aged between 16 and 24) is a basic entry requirement for the post of Beach/Swimming Pool Trainee irrespective of the general provisions set out in paragraph (b) of the General Notes for Non-Civil Service Posts.)
The Leisure and Cultural Services Department (LCSD) now invites youngsters to become Swimming Pool Trainees and Beach Trainees for five months and four months respectively. This scheme aims at providing youngsters with vocational training and assisting them to become professional pool or beach lifeguards. In-Service Training: Trainees should pay the fees for the related vocational training courses (provided by relevant professional institutions) and/or professional examinations to be taken by them. The course and examination fees will be refunded to trainees who have fully completed the courses and/or passed the related examinations. Trainees who have acquired Pool Lifeguard Award and/or Beach Lifeguard Award after completion of this trainee programme meet the basic entry requirements for the post of “Seasonal Lifeguard” of the Leisure and Cultural Services Department. They are welcome to apply for the concerned post.
Swimming Pool Trainees mainly receive training in lifesaving, operation of the filtration plant room and daily operation of the swimming pool while Beach Trainees mainly receive training in lifesaving and daily operation of the beach. Working Hours: The incumbent will be required to work 45 hours net per week, to work irregular hours, overtime and shifts (including Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays) and actual working hours will be arranged by supervisors.
Terms of Appointment:
Applicants will be appointed on non-civil service contract terms.
Rest days, statutory holidays (or substituted holidays), annual leave, maternity leave, sickness allowance, where appropriate, will be granted in line with the provisions of the Employment Ordinance.
(a) Candidates must be permanent residents of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region at the time of appointment unless specified otherwise.
(b) As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the Government is committed to eliminating discrimination in employment. The vacancy advertised is open to all applicants meeting the basic entry requirement irrespective of their disability, sex, marital status, pregnancy, age, family status, sexual orientation and race.
(c) Non-civil service vacancies are not posts on the civil service establishment. Candidates appointed are not on civil service terms of appointment and conditions of service. Candidates appointed are not civil servants and will not be eligible for posting, promotion or transfer to any posts in the Civil Service.
(d) The entry pay, terms of appointment and conditions of service to be offered are subject to the provisions prevailing at the time the offer of appointment is made.
(e) Where a large number of candidates meet the specified entry requirements, the recruiting department may devise shortlisting criteria to select the better qualified candidates for further processing. In these circumstances, only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend recruitment examination and/or interview.
(f) It is Government policy to place people with a disability in appropriate jobs wherever possible. If a disabled candidate meets the entry requirements, he/she will be invited to attend the selection interview/written examination without being subject to any further shortlisting criteria.
(g) Holders of academic qualifications other than those obtained from Hong Kong institutions/Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority may also apply but their qualifications will be subject to assessments on equivalence with the required entry qualifications. They should submit copies of their official transcripts and certificates by mail to the below enquiry address.
How to apply:
(1) Application Forms (G.F. 340 (Rev. 3/2013)) are obtainable from any Public Enquiry Service Centres of District Offices, Home Affairs Department or any Job Centres of the Employment Services Division, Labour Department. The said form can also be downloaded from the Civil Service Bureau's web site (http://www.csb.gov.hk).
(2) Completed application forms should reach the following address on or before the closing date. Please specify on the envelope "Application for Swimming Pool Trainee/Beach Trainee". Applications which are incomplete, late, or submitted by fax or email, or not duly signed, or not made in the prescribed form will not be considered.
(3) Candidates who are selected for swimming test will normally receive an invitation in 4 weeks from the closing date for applications. Those who are not invited for the swimming test may assume that their applications are unsuccessful.
Appointments and Establishment Unit, Leisure Services Branch, 7/F., Leisure & Cultural Services Headquarters, 1 Pai Tau Street, Sha Tin, N.T., Hong Kong.
Newspaper(s) Advertised and Date(s):
Ming Pao Daily: 07/08/2015 & 14/08/2015; Recruit: 07/08/2015 & 11/08/2015