Appointments and Establishment Unit, Support Section, Leisure Services Branch
Seasonal Lifeguard (2015 Swimming Season)
HK$14,115 per month(Swimming Pool or Water Sports Centre)
HK$14,815 per month(Beach)
(1) possess a valid Pool Lifeguard Award or Beach Lifeguard Award or above issued by the Hong Kong Life Saving Society ;
(2) preferably possess a valid First Aid Certificate issued by the St. John Ambulance Association, Hong Kong Red Cross or Auxiliary Medical Service ;
(3) attain a level of proficiency in Chinese and English languages equivalent to Primary 6 standard;
(4) pass the swimming and trade tests; and
(5) pass an eyesight test and the Ishihara's Test. (An applicant's visual acuity should be at least 6/60, i.e. myopia not exceeding roughly 300 degrees. Wearing of plastic corrective lens and goggles with appropriate prescription while on duty is mandatory unless candidates have unaided good eyesight for lifesaving duties.)
[Note : Candidates who possess a valid Pool Lifeguard Award only will be deployed to work at swimming pools of this department only while those who possess a valid Beach Lifeguard Award only will be deployed to work at beaches or water sports centres of this department. Candidates without supporting documents of the Chinese and English languages proficiency of (3) above may also apply. There will be assessments of Chinese and English languages proficiency during the interview.]
The Leisure and Cultural Services Department (LCSD) is inviting applications for the post of Seasonal Lifeguard. The selected candidates will be required to perform lifesaving duties at any public swimming pools, beaches or water sports centres of the LCSD for the swimming season of 2015. The conditioned working hours of a Seasonal Lifeguard are 45 hours net per week and seven and a half hours per day (excluding meal breaks). The incumbents are required to work shifts during the period from 6:15 am to 10:15 pm according to supervisors’ arrangements or to work overtime. They are also required to work on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.
(1) To ensure the safety of swimmers at swimming pools, beaches or water sports centres of this department;
(2) To rescue swimmers in distress;
(3) To maintain order; and
(4) To assist in cleaning work.
Terms of Appointment:
Successful applicants will be appointed on non-civil service contract terms.
Rest days, statutory holidays (or substituted holidays), annual leave, maternity leave, sickness allowance, where appropriate, will be granted in line with the provisions of the Employment Ordinance. Upon satisfactory completion of a continuous contract for not less than three months and subject to satisfactory performance and conduct during the contract period, the Seasonal Lifeguard may be granted a gratuity as follows:
(1) For a continuous contract for three months or above but less than four months, the gratuity payable for the contract will be the sum which, when added to the Government's contribution as required by the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Ordinance (Cap 485), equals to 10% of the total basic salary of substantive office drawn during the period of contract; or
(2) For a continuous contract for four months or above, the gratuity payable for the first three months of the contract will be the sum which, when added to the Government's contribution as required by the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Ordinance (Cap 485), equals to 10% of the total basic salary of substantive office drawn during the first three months of the contract. The gratuity payable for the fourth and subsequent months of the contract will be the sum which, when added to the Government's contribution as required by the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Ordinance (Cap 485), equals to 15% of the total basic salary of substantive office drawn during the fourth and subsequent months of contract.
(1) Candidates must be permanent residents of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region at the time of appointment unless specified otherwise.
(2) As an Equal Opportunities Employer, the Government is committed to eliminating discrimination in employment. The vacancy advertised is open to all applicants meeting the basic entry requirement irrespective of their disability, sex, marital status, pregnancy, age, family status, sexual orientation and race.
(3) Non-civil service vacancies are not posts on the civil service establishment. Candidates appointed are not on civil service terms of appointment and conditions of service. Candidates appointed are not civil servants and will not be eligible for posting, promotion or transfer to any posts in the Civil Service.
(4) The entry pay, terms of appointment and conditions of service to be offered are subject to the provisions prevailing at the time the offer of appointment is made.
(5) Where a large number of candidates meet the specified entry requirements, the recruiting department may devise shortlisting criteria to select the better qualified candidates for further processing. In these circumstances, only shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend recruitment examination and/or interview.
(6) It is Government policy to place people with a disability in appropriate jobs wherever possible. If a disabled candidate meets the entry requirements, he/she will be invited to attend the selection interview/written examination without being subject to any further shortlisting criteria.
(7) Holders of academic qualifications other than those obtained from Hong Kong institutions/Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority may also apply but their qualifications will be subject to assessments on equivalence with the required entry qualifications. They should submit copies of their official transcripts and certificates by mail to the enquiry address.
How to apply:
Completed application form together with photocopies of relevant lifesaving awards (Pool Lifeguard Award or Beach Lifeguard Award or above) should reach the enquiry address on or before the closing date for applications. Please specify on the envelope "Application for Seasonal Lifeguard (Swimming Pool or Water Sports Centre)" or "Application for Seasonal Lifeguard (Beach)".
Application forms [G.F. 340(Rev.3/2013)] are obtainable from any Public Enquiry Service Centres of District Offices, Home Affairs Department or any Job Centres of the Employment Services Division, Labour Department. The said form can also be downloaded from Civil Service Bureau's web site (http://www.csb.gov.hk).
Applications which are incomplete, late, or submitted by fax or email, or not duly signed, or not made in the prescribed form will not be considered. Applicants who are selected for interview will normally receive an invitation in about four to six weeks from the closing date for applications. Those who are not invited for interview and trade tests may assume that their applications are unsuccessful.
Appointments and Establishment Unit, Support Section, Leisure Services Branch, 7/F, Leisure and Cultural Services Headquarters, 1 Pai Tau Street, Sha Tin, New Territories, Hong Kong
2601 8050 or 2601 8040
Newspaper(s) Advertised and Date(s):
Ming Pao : 19 & 26 June 2015
Jiu Jik : 23, 24, 25, 26 & 29 June 2015
Job Market : 23, 24, 26 & 29 June 2015